One thing that is very different about Japanese schools is the enkai or work party. The enkai is usually held at a hotel or fancy restaurant with good food and an open bar. It is a social event and many people go around pouring drinks for each other. This is a good way to get to know people because they break out of their shell a bit when a little social lubricant is ingested. The staff here seems to be closer than a typical school staff in Canada, which might have to do with the long hours Japanese teachers actually spend at the school. Many of them are required to do some sort of club activity/sport so it is not uncommon for them to be at the school until 7 or 8 at night.
This week I'm going to see what the basketball club is like. I hope to coach some sort of sports team this upcoming year. I'll keep you updated about that!
1 comment:
Keep up the japanese man! I'm trying hard to make conscious efforts to note down words I hear from when I eavesdrop on conversation. I'm getting better. One time, as I sat down in a subway, one business man near me said to another: "So, how's your English going these days?"
Post a Comment